Warm Salsa Roja
To make a hotter salsa, leave the seeds in the jalapeños, or replace the poblano pepper with a spicier type, like a serrano chili.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 25 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 medium onion, peeled and halved
- 2 large tomatoes, halved
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and halved
- 1 poblano pepper, seeded and halved
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- Heat a large skillet over high heat for 2 or 3 minutes until hot. Add the onion, tomatoes, jalapeño pepper, and poblano pepper. Rotate the vegetables in the pan until all sides are slightly charred, about 20 minutes.
- Move the vegetables to a food processor, add garlic and cilantro and pulse until the mixture is in small pieces. Stir in salt. Serve warm, cold, or room temperature.