Wedding Meatball Soup
The ingredients in this Italian classic will support a lifetime of health and happiness.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 1 hour 30 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 3 slices (1 oz.) Italian bread, toasted
- 3⁄4 lb. lean ground beef
- 1 large egg
- 1 small yellow onion, peeled and minced
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 Tbsp. chopped fresh oregano
- 1 Tbsp. chopped fresh basil
- 1⁄2 tsp. ground black pepper
- 2 oz. grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 quarts chicken stock
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1⁄2 cup ditalini
- 5 oz. baby spinach
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Wet the toasted Italian bread with water, then squeeze out all the liquid.
- In a large bowl, mix together the bread, beef, egg, onion, garlic, parsley, oregano, basil, pepper, and Parmesan. Form the mixture into 1- to 2-inch balls; place in a baking dish and cook for 30 minutes. Remove from oven and drain on paper towels.
- In a large stockpot, combine the stock, carrots, and meatballs and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 20 minutes. Add ditalini and cook 10 minutes more. Add spinach and stir until just wilted.