Weeknight Shepherd’s Pie
Shepherd’s Pie is basically stew with a top crust of mashed potatoes. If you have leftover mashed potatoes, it's a snap to pull this comforting dinner together quickly.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 35 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 small onion, peeled and diced
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups beef broth
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 1⁄4 tsp. ground black pepper
- 2 cups mashed potatoes
- 2 Tbsp. butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Over medium heat, sauté onion, carrots, and celery in oil. When the onion and celery are translucent, add the beef and cook until browned.
- Sprinkle meat mixture with flour; stir. Add broth and peas. Simmer until the mixture is thickened, season with salt and pepper, and pour into an ungreased 9-by-13-inch casserole dish.
- Spread mashed potatoes over the meat mixture and drizzle with melted butter.
- Bake for 20 minutes.