Weeknight Vegetable Soup
Frozen vegetables take the work out of peeling and chopping fresh vegetables in this quick and easy recipe. While the soup doesn’t take long to make, if you want to speed up the cooking time even more, cook the frozen vegetables in the microwave while sautéing the onion.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 25 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 1 tsp. minced garlic
- 1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 tsp. dried parsley
- 1 small red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 package (10 oz.) frozen peas and corn
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
- ½ tsp. Tabasco sauce
- In a medium saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and onion. Sprinkle the dried parsley over the onion. Sauté for about 4 minutes, until the onion is softened. Add the bell pepper and sauté 5 minutes more.
- Add the frozen vegetables. Cook for about 4–5 minutes, until they are thawed and heated through, using a rubber spatula to break them up while cooking.
- Add the broth and water. Bring to a boil (this takes about 4 minutes).
- Stir in the salt, pepper, and Tabasco sauce.
- Turn down the heat and simmer for 3–4 minutes. Serve immediately.