Wheat-Free Apple Brown Betty
This classic dessert is like apple crisp, but topped with flavored bread crumbs instead of a crumble. The lemon zest and freshly grated nutmeg really make this dessert, so don’t leave them out!
Serves: 6Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 1 hour 15 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 tsp. ground nutmeg
- ½ cup sugar
- 5 slices gluten-free bread, cut into ¼" cubes
- 4 Tbsp. melted butter
- 2 Tbsp. grated lemon zest
- 4 large Gala apples, peeled, cored, and cut into thick wedges.
- ¼ cup cold water
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Grease a medium baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, combine the nutmeg and sugar. Separate 2 tablespoons of the mixture and reserve for later.
- In a large bowl, toss bread cubes with the remaining sugar mixture, melted butter, and lemon zest.
- Line the bottom of a 3- or 4-quart casserole dish with 1 cup bread cubes. Add a layer of apples. Repeat layers until you have used all of the apples and bread cubes. Drizzle the water over the casserole and then evenly sprinkle with the reserved 2 tablespoons of sugar and nutmeg mixture. Cover with aluminum foil.
- Bake covered for 40 minutes. Remove foil and bake an additional 15 minutes until the top of the casserole is golden-brown and crusty. Cool for 10 minutes before serving.