Wheat-Free Chicken Cacciatore
This classic, tasty dish can be served over rice or spaghetti squash.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 1 hour 40 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 chicken (3 1⁄2 lbs.), cut into 8 pieces
- 1 cup potato flour
- 1⁄4 tsp. salt
- 1⁄2 tsp. ground pepper
- 2 Tbsp. dried basil
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1⁄4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp. butter
- 1 medium onion, peeled and diced
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 2 Tbsp. fresh rosemary
- 2 cups chopped mushrooms
- 1 jar (16 oz.) wheat-free marinara sauce
- 4 oz. dry red table wine
- 1⁄2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1⁄4 cup chopped parsley
- Rinse the chicken and pat dry with paper towels. In a large bowl combine the flour, salt, pepper, basil, and oregano. Dredge the chicken in the mixture.
- In a large frying pan over medium-high heat, heat the oil and butter together until butter melts. Brown chicken in butter and oil, for 5 minutes per side. Add the onion, garlic, rosemary, and mushrooms. Sauté for 5 minutes. Add the marinara sauce (or tomatoes) and red wine. Cover and simmer over very low heat for 1 hour.
- Remove cover, place chicken on a platter, and continue to simmer sauce until reduced by half, about 15 minutes. Spoon sauce over the chicken and sprinkle with cheese and fresh parsley.