Wheat-Free Crab Cakes
These crab cakes can be served as an entrée over a bed of greens or they can be made into smaller cakes for an appetizer.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 50 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 Tbsp. plus ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 green onions, finely chopped
- 12 oz. jumbo lump crabmeat
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
- 2 large eggs
- 1 Tbsp. mayonnaise
- 1½ cups wheat-free bread crumbs, divided
- ½ tsp. ground cayenne pepper
- ½ tsp. ground basil
- ½ tsp. ground oregano
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Sauté green onions for 1–2 minutes, until tender. Remove from heat.
- In a large bowl, combine the crabmeat, garlic, egg, mayonnaise, ½ cup bread crumbs, cayenne pepper, basil, oregano, salt and pepper. Form into small patties, about ½" thick.
- In a separate bowl, place remaining 1 cup of bread crumbs. Dredge patties in the bread crumbs thoroughly.
- Heat ½ cup oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Place crab cakes in oil and cook until golden brown, making sure to cook evenly on both sides. Once cooked, place on paper towels to drain.