Wheat-Free Eggplant Parmesan
This popular Italian dish is transformed into an easy, healthy casserole.
Serves: 10Hands-on: 40 minutesTotal: 2 hoursDifficulty: Medium
- 2 medium eggplants, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 3 large eggs, plus 2 egg whites, lightly beaten
- 2 cups wheat-free bread crumbs
- ¾ cup ground flax seed
- 1 tsp. oregano
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese, divided
- 6 cups spaghetti sauce
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 Tbsp. fresh basil
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Slice eggplant and place in 9" × 13" casserole dish. Add salt to eggplant and let sit for 1 hour to let eggplant release extra moisture. Place eggplant in colander and rinse excess salt off. Pat dry with paper towels.
- Place beaten eggs in shallow bowl. In another shallow bowl, add the bread crumbs, flax seed, oregano, garlic, and ¼ cup Parmesan cheese. Stir well to combine.
- Spray a baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray. Dip eggplant in egg, then bread crumb mixture and place onto baking sheet. Bake for 10 minutes on each side.
- Spread ½–¾ cup spaghetti sauce on the bottom of the casserole dish. Place a layer of eggplant on top of sauce layer. Sprinkle with Parmesan and ½ cup–¾ cup mozzarella cheese. Repeat another layer of sauce, eggplant, and cheese until ingredients run out.
- Top with fresh basil. Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown and cheese is melted.