White Bean and Escarole Soup
Serves: 6Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 4 hours 50 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 cup dried navy beans
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup peeled and chopped potato
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3 oz. Canadian bacon, cut in 1⁄2-inch cubes
- 2 1⁄2 cups water
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 1⁄4 tsp. pepper
- 1 tsp. vegetable oil
- 8 oz. escarole, coarsely chopped
- Place dry beans and 3 cups of water in medium saucepan. Bring to a boil; remove from heat. Allow beans to soak several hours or overnight.
- Drain beans; place in a pressure cooker with onion, potatoes, garlic, Canadian bacon, 2 1⁄2 cups water, salt, pepper, and vegetable oil. Close cover securely, place pressure regulator on vent pipe, and cook for 30 minutes with pressure regulator rocking slowly. (If using an electric pressure cooker, follow manufacturer instructions.) Let pressure drop on its own.
- Add chopped escarole; simmer for 5 to 10 minutes, until escarole is wilted and tender.