White Bean Minestrone
You can also use
Serves: 8Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 1 hour 55 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- ¾ cup dried Great Northern beans, soaked overnight and drained
- 6 cups water
- 2 oz. salt pork
- 1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 medium potato, peeled and diced
- 5 sprigs parsley, chopped
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tsp. thyme
- 6 cups beef broth
- 2 cups coarsely chopped cabbage
- 1 tsp. basil
- ¾ cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- Place beans in a large soup pot with the water. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and cook for 1 to 1½ hours. Drain and set aside.
- In a soup pot, heat the salt pork. Add the onion, celery, tomatoes, carrots, potato, parsley, olive oil, and thyme, stirring everything together. Sauté for 5 minutes.
- Pour in the beef broth, and add the cabbage and cooked beans. Bring the pot to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and cook for 15 minutes.
- Ladle into bowls, garnish with the Parmesan, and serve.