White Wine Sauce
You can vary the herbs or add some sliced mushrooms, olives, capers, or green peppercorns. Pour the sauce over any fish or meat, mashed potatoes, or rice.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 25 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- ½ cup minced sweet onion
- 2 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 1 cup chicken broth, warmed
- ½ cup dry white wine
- ½ tsp. Dijon mustard
- ¼ tsp. chopped thyme
- ½ tsp. dried tarragon
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ⅛ tsp. ground black pepper
- ½ cup heavy cream
- In a large saucepan, sauté the onion for 4 minutes in the butter and oil over medium-high heat. Whisk in the cornstarch and cook for 4 minutes.
- Whisk in the warm chicken broth, stirring until smooth. Then add the wine. Swirl in the mustard, thyme, tarragon, salt, and pepper. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat and stir in cream. Strain sauce and serve hot.