Whole-Grain Blueberry Muffins
Donʼt have buttermilk? Add 1 tablespoon lemon juice to 1 cup of regular milk and let it sit for a minute before adding the egg.
Serves: 12Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 35 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 3 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1⁄4 cup oat bran
- 3⁄4 tsp. baking powder
- 1⁄2 tsp. baking soda
- 1⁄8 tsp. salt
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 cup blueberries, frozen or fresh
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Grease a muffin pan.
- In a small bowl, add the egg to the buttermilk and beat lightly. Add the vegetable oil and stir to combine.
- In a large bowl, combine the all-purpose flour, whole-wheat flour, and oat bran. Stir in the baking powder, baking soda, salt, and sugar until well blended.
- Add the egg mixture to the flour mixture and stir to form a batter. Be careful not to overmix the batter; donʼt worry if there are still lumps. Gently stir in the blueberries.
- Spoon the batter into the muffin tins so that they are between 1⁄2 to 2⁄3 full. Bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle of a muffin comes out clean. Let cool for 5 minutes before eating. Store the muffins in a sealed tin.