Whole Grain Bread
Homemade bread is one of the great joys of life—and this one is low-fat too! The aroma that fills your house while the bread is baking will make your swoon, and the bread makes great toast the next day.
Serves: 16Hands-on: 35 minutesTotal: 3 hours 15 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 package (0.25 oz.) dry yeast
- ¼ cup warm water
- 1¼ cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup bread flour
- ¼ cup sunflower seeds, divided
- ½ cup quick cooking oatmeal
- ½ tsp. salt
- 3 Tbsp. brown sugar
- ½ cup buttermilk
- ½ cup warm water
- ¼ cup orange juice
- 3 Tbsp. butter
- 1 large egg
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- Spray two 8" × 4" loaf pans with nonstick cooking spray; set aside. In a small bowl, combine yeast and ¼ cup warm water; mix and let stand for 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine whole wheat flour, bread flour, 2 tablespoons sunflower seeds, oatmeal, salt, and brown sugar and mix well.
- In a small saucepan, combine buttermilk, ½ cup water, orange juice, and butter; heat over low heat until butter melts. Add to flour mixture along with egg; beat for 1 minute. Then stir in yeast mixture.
- Gradually add enough all-purpose flour to make a firm dough. Knead on floured surface for 6 to 7 minutes until smooth. Place in greased bowl, turning to grease top. Cover and let rise for 1 hour.
- Punch down dough and divide in half. Roll out to 7" by 5" rectangles. Roll up, starting with short side; pinch edges to seal. Place in prepared pans and sprinkle with remaining 2 tablespoons sunflower seeds. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 to 50 minutes. Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Bake bread for 30 to 40 minutes, or until tops are deep golden brown. Remove from pans and brush with melted butter. Cool completely on wire rack.