Whole-Grain French Bread
Cottage cheese, sour cream, and orange juice add a nice tang to this hearty French bread.
Serves: 16Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 3 hoursDifficulty: Medium
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup cottage cheese
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 2 Tbsp. fresh orange juice
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 2 cups bread flour
- 2 packages (1⁄4 oz.) instant dry yeast
- 1⁄4 cup oat bran
- 3 cups whole-wheat flour
- 2 Tbsp. cornmeal
- In small microwave-safe bowl, combine oats and 1 cup water; microwave on high for 3 to 4 minutes until creamy. Let cool for 10 minutes. Combine oatmeal mixture and cottage cheese in a blender or food processor; blend or process until creamy. Place oatmeal mixture in large bowl. Stir in sour cream, orange juice, and salt; mix well.
- Add bread flour, yeast, and oat bran and beat for 1 minute. Stir in enough whole-wheat flour to form a firm dough.
- Knead dough on lightly floured surface until smooth and elastic, about 8 minutes. Place dough in greased bowl, turning to grease top. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch down dough and place on counter. Cover with bowl and let stand for 10 minutes.
- Grease 2 rectangles (12 inches long) on a baking sheet and sprinkle with cornmeal. Divide dough into 2 balls. Roll each ball into a 12-inch cylinder and place on prepared baking sheet. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Spray loaves with some cold water and bake for 30 to 40 minutes, or until loaves are deep golden brown and sound hollow when tapped with fingers. Cool on wire rack.