Whole-Grain Oatmeal Bread
This hearty bread is delicious toasted and spread with whipped honey or jam.
Serves: 16Hands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 3 hoursDifficulty: Medium
- 1 cup warm water
- 2 packages (¼ oz
.) active dry yeast
- ¼ cup honey
- 1 cup skim milk
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats, plus 2 tablespoons, divided
- 1 tsp. salt
- 3 Tbsp. canola oil
- 1 large egg
- 1½ cups whole-wheat flour
- ½ cup medium rye flour
- ¼ cup ground flaxseed
- 4 cups bread flour
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- In small bowl, combine water and yeast; let stand until bubbly, about 5 minutes. Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan combine honey, milk, 1 cup old-fashioned oats, salt, and canola oil. Heat just until very warm (about 120°F). Remove from heat and beat in egg. Combine in large bowl with whole-wheat flour, rye flour, flaxseed, and 1 cup bread flour. Add yeast mixture and beat for 1 minute. Cover and let rise for 30 minutes.
- Gradually stir in remaining bread flour to make a firm dough. Turn onto floured surface and knead until dough is elastic, about 10 minutes. Place in greased bowl, turning to grease top. Cover and let rise for 1 hour.
- Punch down dough, divide in half, and form into loaves. Place in greased 9" × 5" loaf pans, sprinkle with remaining oats, cover, and let rise for 30 minutes.
- Bake in preheated 350°F oven for 25–30 minutes or until golden brown. Brush with butter, then remove to wire racks to cool.