Whole-Grain Pizza Crust
Make a couple of batches of this crust, prebake, and store in the freezer to make your own homemade pizzas in a flash.
Serves: 12Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 1 hour 55 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 cup warm water
- 2 packages (1⁄4 oz.) active dry yeast
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 2 Tbsp. honey
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole-wheat flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 2 cups bread flour
- In large bowl, combine water and yeast; let stand for 10 minutes until bubbly.
- Add milk, honey, olive oil, and salt and mix well. Stir in whole-wheat flour, cornmeal, and 1⁄2 cup bread flour; beat for 1 minute. Stir in enough bread flour to make a firm dough. Turn onto floured surface and knead for 10 minutes.
- Place dough in greased bowl, turning to grease top. Cover and let rise for 1 hour. Turn dough onto floured work surface and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Spray 2 round pizza pans (12 inches in diameter) with nonstick cooking spray and sprinkle with some cornmeal.
- Divide dough in half and roll each into a 12-inch circle. Place on pizza pans; press to edges if necessary. Let stand for 10 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Bake crusts for 10 minutes or until set.