Waffles taste so much better when homemade. You can use them for breakfast with fresh fruit, or serve them for dinner with some spicy chili.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 25 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1⁄2 tsp. baking soda
- 1⁄8 tsp. salt
- 1 large egg
- 2 Tbsp. butter, melted
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 4 egg whites
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup maple syrup
- In medium bowl, combine flour, whole-wheat flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, and salt, and mix well.
- In small bowl, combine egg, melted butter, and buttermilk and mix well. Add to flour mixture and stir just until combined.
- In large bowl, beat egg whites until foamy. Gradually add sugar, beating until stiff peaks form. Fold into flour mixture.
- Spray waffle iron with nonstick cooking spray and heat according to directions. Pour about 1⁄4 cup batter into the waffle iron, close, and cook until the steaming stops, or according to the appliance directions. Serve immediately with maple syrup.