Whole Wheat Banana Walnut Pancakes
Top these pancakes with the usual maple syrup, or try them with a warm fruit compote.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 30 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 1⁄2 tsp. baking powder
- 1⁄2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 tsp. kosher salt
- 3 large eggs
- 2 Tbsp. honey
- 2 medium ripe bananas, peeled and mashed
- 2 Tbsp. canola oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole milk
- 1⁄2 tsp. rum extract
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- In a large bowl, sift together whole wheat flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt. Set aside.
- In a second bowl whisk together eggs and honey until light and airy. Add bananas, oil, milk, and rum extract. Pour wet mixture into dry and mix briefly, just until combined. Set aside to rest 10 minutes.
- Preheat griddle over medium heat. When hot, stir walnuts into batter, then ladle batter out in half-cup puddles. Cook until bubbles appear on surface, about 1 minute. Flip and cook 1 minute on the opposite side, until firm in the center. Keep pancakes warm in a low oven while repeating with remaining batter.