Whole-Wheat Chocolate Chip Cookies
Fill your cookie jar with these excellent cookies! They’re high in fiber yet studded with delicious dark-chocolate nuggets.
Makes: 48Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 40 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 1 1⁄2 cups brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup applesauce
- 1 Tbsp. vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 2 egg whites
- 2 1⁄2 cups whole-wheat pastry flour
- 2 Tbsp. cocoa powder
- 1⁄2 cup ground oats
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1⁄4 tsp. salt
- 2 cups dark chocolate chips
- 1 cup chopped hazelnuts
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone liners and set aside.
- In large bowl, combine butter, brown sugar, and applesauce and beat well until smooth. Add vanilla, egg, and egg whites and beat until combined.
- Add flour, cocoa powder, ground oats, baking soda, and salt and mix until a dough forms. Fold in chocolate chips and hazelnuts.
- Drop dough by rounded teaspoons onto prepared baking sheets. Bake for 7 to 10 minutes or until cookies are light golden brown and set. Let cool for 5 minutes before removing from cookie sheet to wire rack to cool.