Whole-Wheat Cranberry Biscotti
Adding pistachios to this cookie would give it a festive holiday look, studded with red and green. Your guests will get an inconspicuous fiber infusion from the whole-wheat flour and cranberries. Offer low-fat eggnog to get an extra protein and calcium punch.
Serves: 10Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 1 hour 20 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 oz. unsalted butter, softened
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- ½ tsp. vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- ⅛ tsp. salt
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup whole-wheat flour
- ½ cup dried cranberries, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a baking sheet pan.
- Cream the butter and sugar with an electric mixer. Add egg and vanilla and beat to incorporate.
- In a separate bowl combine the nutmeg, baking powder, salt, and flour. Add this dry mixture to the egg-butter mixture and combine to make a smooth dough. Stir in cranberries.
- Scrape dough out onto the prepared baking sheet pan and form it into a broad, flat log using wet fingers. Bake for 30 minutes, remove from oven, and cool for 5 minutes. Turn the oven down to 275°F.
- Cut the log into ½" wide slices and place the slices back on the baking sheet, cut sides facing up. Bake 15 minutes, turn cookies over, and bake 10 minutes more. Cool on a rack.