Whole-Wheat Dinner Rolls
Before serving, place these rolls in a 350°F oven for 5–6 minutes to warm and refresh.
Serves: 24Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 2 hours 50 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 packages (¼ oz.) active dry yeast
- ¼ cup honey
- ½ tsp. salt
- 3 Tbsp. canola oil
- 1 large egg
- 2 egg whites
- 3½ cups whole-wheat flour
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 Tbsp. butter, melted
- In large saucepan, place milk and heat over medium heat until warm. Pour out ½ cup of the warm milk into a large mixer bowl and combine with yeast; let stand for 10 minutes.
- Add remaining milk, honey, salt, canola oil, egg, and egg whites and beat well. Add whole-wheat flour and beat well. Gradually add enough all-purpose flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn dough onto floured surface and knead until smooth, about 5–7 minutes. Place dough in greased bowl, turning to grease top. Cover and let rise for 1 hour or until doubled.
- Turn dough out onto lightly floured surface. Divide dough into fourths, then divide each fourth into six pieces. Roll pieces between your hands to form a smooth ball. Place on cookie sheets about 3" apart. Let rise for 30–40 minutes or until doubled.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Bake rolls for 15–25 minutes or until golden brown and set. Remove to wire racks and brush with melted butter. Let cool.