Whole Wheat Pancakes with Caramelized Bananas
Packed with protein and a full serving of fruit, these pancakes are a great start to the morning. Whole-wheat flour makes these both hearty and fluffy, and the caramelized bananas add the perfect amount of sweetness.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 35 minutesTotal: 35 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 3 cups white whole-wheat flour
- 1⁄2 cup plus 2 Tbsp. coconut sugar, divided
- 4 tsp. baking powder
- 2 tsp. sea salt
- 3⁄4 cup full-fat plain yogurt
- 2 1⁄4 cups whole milk
- 4 large eggs
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 tsp. grated lemon zest
- 3 medium ripe bananas, peeled and thickly sliced
- Heat a nonstick griddle over medium-high heat.
- Combine flour, 2 tablespoons coconut sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, mix together yogurt, milk, eggs, vanilla, and zest. Mix together wet and dry ingredients until combined.
- Pour about 1⁄4 cup of batter per pancake onto the hot griddle. When pancakes get tiny bubbles throughout, about 4 minutes, flip to cook the other side.
- Place remaining 1⁄2 cup coconut sugar on a plate, and roll each banana slice in sugar. In a medium sauté pan over medium heat, add banana slices and cook on each side, about 4 minutes, until golden. Remove from heat and add to pancakes.