You can use any grain flour in this recipe. Different flours will impart different flavors and textures to the pasta.
Serves: 10Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 1 hour 30 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 2 1⁄2 cups whole-wheat flour
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄8 tsp. iodized salt
- 2 large eggs
- 2 egg whites
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 2 Tbsp. water
- Sift together the wheat flour, all-purpose flour, and salt into a large mixing bowl.
- Whisk the eggs and egg whites in a small bowl. Mix the olive oil and water into the egg mixture.
- Make a well in the center of the flour and pour in the egg mixture. Mix together the wet and dry ingredients by hand or in a mixer with a dough hook until the dough forms into a ball. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and let it rest in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour. Allow the dough to return to room temperature if it has rested in the refrigerator for more than 1 hour.
- Roll out the dough on a floured surface, then form or shape the pasta as desired.
- To cook, bring a large pot of water to a slow boil. Add the pasta and stir to prevent sticking. Cook until al dente. (Cooking times will vary depending on the size of the pasta formed.) Drain and serve as desired.