Whole-Wheat Peanut Butter Sandwich Cookies
This recipe features a delightfully creamy peanut butter filling sandwiched between two soft peanut butter cookies. These cookies resemble peanut butter-flavored whoopie pies.
Makes: 12Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 40 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- ¾ cup unsalted butter, at room temperature, divided
- 1 cup natural creamy peanut butter, divided
- 2¼ cups coconut sugar, divided
- ½ tsp. molasses
- 2 large eggs
- 1½ tsp. vanilla extract, divided
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- ¼ tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. sea salt
- ⅛ tsp. ground cinnamon
- ½ cup rolled oats
- ¾ cup whole-wheat flour
- ¼ cup agave inulin
- 3 Tbsp. heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer or a large bowl, beat ½ cup butter, ½ cup peanut butter, 1 cup coconut sugar, and molasses until light and fluffy. Add eggs and 1 teaspoon vanilla.
- In a small bowl, whisk together baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, oats, and flour.
- Slowly add the flour mixture to the peanut butter mixture. Roll into 1" balls and make a crosshatch pattern by pressing down horizontally and then vertically with fork tines. Place on baking sheet 2" apart and bake for 10 minutes. Remove from baking sheet and cool on a wire rack.
- While cookies are baking, cream together remaining ¼ cup butter and ½ cup peanut butter in a bowl until creamy and smooth. Place remaining 1¼ cup coconut sugar and agave inulin in a blender and blend until a smooth powder. Add this to the peanut butter mixture. Add remaining ½ teaspoon vanilla extract and beat until smooth.
- Add cream slowly to the frosting mixture until desired consistency is reached. Spread frosting on the bottom of cooled cookies and top with remaining cookies until all cookie sandwiches have been assembled.