Whole-Wheat Tart Crust
Here's a slightly healthier tart crust! Try adding a half teaspoon of sugar to the dough when using a sweet filling.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 1 hour 20 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1⁄4 tsp. salt
- 6 Tbsp. very cold vegan margarine, cut into small pieces
- 1 Tbsp. cold vegetable shortening
- Ice water, as needed
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Whisk together all-purpose flour, whole-wheat flour, and salt in a large bowl. Quickly cut margarine and shortening into the flour with a pastry cutter or large fork until mixture resembles crumbs. Sprinkle 2 tablespoons ice water over the surface. Stir the dough with a wooden spoon, adding ice water 1 tablespoon at a time as needed, to bring dough together.
- Shape dough into a ball and then wrap with plastic wrap. Using the palm of your hand, press dough into a disk shape inside the plastic wrap. Chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Roll chilled dough out to a thickness of 1⁄4 inch. Fold dough in half or quarters, gently lift it up, and lay dough in a 9-inch tart pan. Unfold dough across the rest of the pan. Lift outer edges of dough with one hand while pressing dough down into the pan and into the fluted edges. Pinch off any excess dough. Save extra bits of dough for another use, if desired. Chill for 30 minutes. Dock with the tines of a fork.