Wild Rice Pilaf with Carrots, Celery, and Fennel
Wild rice provides a nutty flavor and chewy texture to this pilaf.
Serves: 10Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 2 hours 10 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 3 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 cup brown rice
- 1⁄2 cup wild rice
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 large bulb fennel, ends trimmed, diced
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 1⁄2 tsp. ground black pepper
- In a medium saucepan, bring water to a boil. Add brown rice and wild rice, stir, and reduce heat to medium-low. Cover and simmer until tender, about 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350°F. Grease an 8-by-8-inch baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, sauté the onion, carrots, celery, and fennel for 8 to 10 minutes, or until softened.
- Drain the rice and pour into prepared baking dish. Stir in the vegetable mixture, salt, and pepper.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake 1 hour.
- Fluff with a fork before serving.