Wild Rice Salad with Mushrooms and Almonds
Pair grains like wild rice with beans and legumes for complete proteins, essential to the vegetarian diet, and a curiously good culinary combination!
Serves: 8Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 1 hour 20 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 8 oz. uncooked wild rice
- 1 cup whole almonds
- 1 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 8 oz. mixed exotic mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1⁄2 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 bunch scallions, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- 1 tsp. ground cumin, toasted in a dry pan until fragrant
- Boil the wild rice in lightly salted water until tender, and most grains have burst open (about 35 minutes); drain. Lightly toast almonds in a dry skillet over medium heat until most have small browned spots and they attain an oily sheen; spread on a plate to cool to room temperature. Heat oil in a medium skillet over high heat for 1 minute, then cook the mushrooms until tender, about 5 minutes; season with salt and pepper.
- In a mixing bowl, combine rice, almonds, mushrooms (with their cooking oil), and scallions. Dress with lemon and cumin, and season with salt and pepper. Toss well to coat. Serve chilled or at room temperature.