Wild, Wild Rice and Mushroom Soup
The beauty of this rich, extremely comforting soup is that you can add more vegetables or cooked sausage, turkey, or chicken at the end.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 20 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 3 Tbsp. butter
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 cup finely chopped sweet onion
- 4 oz. shiitake mushrooms, chopped
- 4 oz. morel mushrooms, chopped
- 4 oz. porcini mushrooms, chopped
- 4 oz. oyster mushrooms, chopped
- 2 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 5 cups low-salt beef broth, heated
- 2 cups cooked wild rice
- 1 cup heavy cream
- ¼ tsp. dried rosemary, crumbled
- ⅛ tsp. dried thyme, crumbled
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
- ½ cup dry sherry
- 6 fresh sage leaves
- In a soup pot, melt the butter, and add the garlic and onion. Sauté for 5 minutes. Add the mushrooms. Add the cornstarch and stir until thickened, cooking for another 5 minutes.
- Slowly add the broth, stirring constantly. Mix in the wild rice. Add the cream, rosemary, thyme, salt, and pepper, and allow to cook for another 2–3 minutes. Add the sherry and serve in heated bowls, garnished with sage leaves.