Wine Vinegar–Based Barbecue Sauce
This sauce is thinner and more like a mop sauce than a traditional thick barbecue sauce. You can use it as a basting sauce for grilled tender cuts of meat. It’s even good mixed into a glass of tomato juice or in tomato soup.
Serves: 20Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 2 hours 10 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- ½ cup light brown sugar, packed
- ½ cup Worcestershire sauce
- ½ cup Dijon mustard
- 1⅓ cup ketchup
- ⅛ tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 Tbsp. crushed red pepper
- 4 cups red wine vinegar
- 2⅔ cups water
- 1⅓ cups dry white wine
- ½ tsp. salt
- Add all ingredients to a 4- to 6-quart slow cooker. Stir to mix. Cover and, stirring every 15 minutes, cook on high for 1 hour or until mixture has come to a simmer.
- Reduce heat to low and cook for 1 additional hour, covered. Ladle cooled sauce into glass jars, cover, and store in the refrigerator. Keeps for about 6 months.