For this slow cooker version of the classic Russian beet soup, we include lean beef and warm spices.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 8 hours 10 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- ¾ lb. cubed lean top round beef
- 3½ cups shredded cooked beets
- 1 medium onion, peeled and diced
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and grated
- ½ tsp. kosher salt
- ½ tsp. sugar
- 3 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
- ½ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- ½ tsp. ground cumin
- ¼ tsp. ground coriander
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 cup shredded green cabbage
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups water
- In a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, sauté the beef for 1 minute. Remove beef from skillet with a slotted spoon and place in a 4- to 5-quart slow cooker.
- Add remaining ingredients to the slow cooker. Cook on low for 8 hours. Stir before serving.