Yellow Cake with Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
With a rich and creamy chocolate buttercream frosting, this moist and fluffy yellow cake is a classic crowd-pleaser.
Serves: 12Prep: 1 hour 30 minutesCook: 40 minutesTotal: 2 hours 10 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 1⁄2 cups unsalted butter, room temperature, divided
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup + 1½ Tbsp. milk, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract, divided
- 1 1⁄4 cups confectioners’ sugar, sifted
- 1⁄4 cup cocoa powder, sifted
- Preheat oven to 350F. Prepare 9”x13” pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- In bowl of electric mixer, cream together 1 cup butter and sugar. Mix until light and fluffy. Mix in eggs, one at a time.
- While mixing on low speed, alternate adding small amounts of flour and 1 cup milk. Add baking powder, salt and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Stir until just combined. Pour into prepared pan.
- Bake 35-40 minutes, until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Let cool.
- Meanwhile, beat ½ cup butter until smooth.
- Add confectioners’ sugar, cocoa powder, 1½ tablespoons milk and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Continue beating until creamy. Spread over cooled cake.