Yellow Cake with Chocolate Frosting
Everyone deserves a special treat on their big day. This cake combines the best of both worlds, producing an ultra moist, absolutely delicious cake, while keeping health in mind. The recipe yields 1 layer cake (8 inches), a 9-by-13-inch pan, or 24 cupcakes.
Serves: 12Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 55 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 3⁄4 cups cake flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 Tbsp. sodium-free baking powder
- 3 egg whites
- 2⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup plus 3 Tbsp. low-fat milk, divided
- 1 Tbsp. plus 2 tsp. vanilla extract, divided
- 2 tsp. almond extract
- 4 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 Tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour 2 round pans (8 inches) and set aside.
- Place the flour, granulated sugar, and baking powder into a large mixing bowl and whisk well to combine. Add the egg whites, oil, 1 cup milk, 1 tablespoon vanilla extract, and almond extract and beat for 2 minutes.
- Pour batter into prepared pans, dividing evenly, and place on middle rack in oven. Bake for 25 minutes.
- Remove from oven and set on wire rack to cool. Cool briefly before carefully removing layer cakes from pans. Cool fully before frosting.
- To make the frosting, place the butter into a mixing bowl. Gradually add in confectioners' sugar, beating well. Add 3 tablespoons milk, 2 teaspoons vanilla, and cocoa and beat until combined. Frost cake as desired.