Yellow Honeycomb Cake with Buttercream Frosting
This honeycomb cake is all the buzz. The impressive presentation is surprisingly easy to create, and the sweet yellow cake and buttercream frosting are sure to “bee” a hit with every guest.
Serves: 12Prep: 1 hourCook: 25 minutesTotal: 1 hour 25 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 box (16.5 oz.) Kroger Brand Delicious Yummy Yellow Cake Mix
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 8 cups powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- Yellow gel food coloring, divided
- Orange gel food coloring, divided
- 1 bag (10 oz.) white chocolate candy melts
- Grease three 8” cake pans with non-stick cooking spray.
- Prepare cake mix according to package instructions; evenly divide batter into prepared cake pans. Bake according to package instructions; allow to cool completely.
- In bowl of stand mixer, whisk butter until creamy. Reduce speed to low, mix in 1 cup powdered sugar at a time, alternating the vanilla and milk until well blended. Beat on medium speed 3 minutes, until smooth. Add yellow and orange gel food coloring to reach desired color.
- Spread a generous amount of buttercream frosting over one cake; layer with another cake. Repeat frosting and layering with remaining cake. Frost entire outside of layered cake.
- Using microwave, completely melt white chocolate at 50% power in 1-minute intervals. Add yellow and orange gel food coloring to reach desired color.
- Over a 4”x30” piece of bubble wrap, spread melted chocolate. Allow to sit until smooth to touch. Carefully wrap chocolate around cake by lining bottom of cake with bottom of chocolate piece. Press at seam, allowing extra to hang off cake. Place in refrigerator to harden.
- Once chocolate is firm, peel off bubble wrap. Use scissors to cut any extra chocolate; if desired, use extra chocolate as decoration. Tip: If chocolate it too firm, use hair dryer to soften it.