Yogurt Cheese Dough
Look, no yeast! This recipe makes great pizza crust, breadsticks, homemade bagels, twists, and rolls.
Serves: 16Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 10 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 cup plain low-fat yogurt
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1⁄4 tsp. salt
- 1⁄2 tsp. baking soda
- 2 large egg whites
- 6 Tbsp. butter, melted and cooled
- Line a strainer with a coffee filter. Spoon yogurt into coffee filter. Place strainer over a bowl so yogurt can drain. Make sure there is at least an inch between the bottom of the strainer and the bottom of the bowl.
- Cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 24 hours. Discard liquid. Carefully remove homemade yogurt cheese from paper.
- Sift flours, baking powder, salt, and baking soda together. In a large bowl, combine egg whites, yogurt cheese, and butter. Whisk until well blended.
- Add dry ingredients, stirring until smooth dough forms. Turn dough onto a floured surface. Knead for 30 seconds. Use as pizza dough, breadsticks, or as required in your favorite recipe.