Yogurt Cheese Spinach Spread
Make your own yogurt cheese by straining plain yogurt in cheese cloth overnight until it is the consistency of cream cheese. Blend it with chopped onion, garlic and spinach to make this healthful and delicious spread. Eat it with toasted pita chips, spread onto a bagel or crusty bread for a sandwich.
Serves: 24Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 9 hoursDifficulty: Easy
- 2 cups plain yogurt
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 1⁄8 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 2 Tbsp. lemon juice
- Place the yogurt in a strainer lined with cheesecloth. Rest the strainer over a bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and let stand in the refrigerator overnight.
- The next day, remove the yogurt cheese from the strainer; save the whey for another use.
- In a heavy saucepan, cook onion and garlic in olive oil over medium heat until tender, about 5 minutes. Add spinach and cook, stirring until wilted and water has evaporated, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat and sprinkle with salt, cayenne pepper, and lemon juice.
- Remove to a mixing bowl; let stand until cool, about 45 minutes. Blend in the yogurt cheese. Serve immediately or cover and chill for up to 3 days.