Versatile yogurt cheese will surprise you in this recipe! You'll need a 9-inch springform pan and heavy-duty aluminum foil for this recipe.
Serves: 12Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 3 hoursDifficulty: Medium
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 4 cups plain yogurt (made without gelatin)
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 egg whites
- 1 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp. fresh lemon zest
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 3 Tbsp. sifted cake flour
- Confectioners' sugar, for garnish
- Line a strainer with a coffee filter, using it as a sieve. (If you don't have a paper coffee filter, you can line a colander with paper towels). Spoon yogurt into coffee filter. Place strainer over a bowl so yogurt can drain. Make sure there is at least an inch between the bottom of the strainer and the bottom of the bowl.
- Cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 24 hours. Discard liquid. Carefully remove homemade yogurt cheese from paper. Please note that the longer the yogurt drains, the thicker it becomes.
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Spray the inside of a 9-inch springform pan with cooking spray.Place the pan on 2 sheets of heavy-duty aluminum foil and wrap the bottom and sides to prevent leakage while baking in the water bath.
- In a medium bowl, whisk yogurt cheese with sugar, egg whites, lemon juice, lemon zest, vanilla, and cake flour. Be careful not to over beat. Pour into prepared springform pan.
- Set prepared pan into a large pan of hot water. Bake in preheated oven until cake is browned and begins to crack, about 90 minutes. Turn oven off. Leave cake in oven for 60 minutes longer.
- Carefully remove pan from water bath. Place dish on a wire rack for one hour to completely cool. Transfer to serving platter. Refrigerate until serving time. Sprinkle lightly with confectioner’s sugar.