These corn muffins delicious served warm with a hot bowl of soup. The moist texture yogurt cheese adds is a little different and quite delightful. The brown sugar adds a bit of sweetness.
Serves: 12Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 1 day 30 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- ¾ cup plain low-fat yogurt
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 Tbsp. light brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp. baking powder
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 2 egg whites
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- ¼ cup water
- Line a strainer with a coffee filter. Spoon yogurt into coffee filter. Place strainer over a bowl so yogurt can drain. Make sure there is at least an inch between the bottom of the strainer and the bottom of the bowl.
- Cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 24 hours. Discard liquid. Carefully remove homemade yogurt cheese from paper.
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Prepare 12 muffin cups with paper liners.
- In a large bowl, combine cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Set aside. Combine yogurt cheese, egg whites, oil, and water in a small bowl, whisking until well blended. Add to dry ingredients, stirring until just moistened.
- Fill muffin cups about three-fourths full. Bake 15–18 minutes or until golden brown.