Yogurt and Cucumber Soup with Dill
This is a traditional Easter brunch item in many warm parts of the world. Make it the first course at your Easter feast.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 4 hours 10 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 3 cups plain low-fat yogurt
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 1 large cucumber, peeled, seeded, and grated
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 2 1⁄2 Tbsp. finely chopped fresh dill, divided
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 1⁄2 tsp. freshly ground white pepper
- 4 drops hot pepper sauce
- Put the yogurt into a cheesecloth-lined strainer and let drip over a bowl for 2 hours at room temperature, or overnight in the refrigerator.
- Discard the water from the yogurt and place the yogurt in a medium-sized bowl. Whisk the milk into the yogurt until smooth. Stir in the cucumber, garlic, 2 tablespoons dill, olive oil, lemon juice, salt, pepper, and hot pepper sauce. Refrigerate for 2 hours, until ice cold.