Zesty Cabbage Soup
Eliminate the chili pepper in this recipe if you don’t like spicy food.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 1 hour 10 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1⁄4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 medium onions, peeled and chopped
- 1 large carrot, peeled, quartered, and sliced
- 1 stalk celery, ends trimmed and chopped
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika
- 3 cups sliced white cabbage
- 1 tsp. fresh thyme
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 cup chopped roasted red pepper
- 1 can (14 oz.) white navy beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 1⁄2 cups V8 Vegetable Juice
- 7 cups vegetable stock
- 1 dried chili pepper
- 2 medium zucchini, ends trimmed, halved lengthwise, and sliced thin
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 1⁄2 tsp. ground black pepper
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat for 30 seconds. Add the onions, carrots, celery, and bay leaves. Cook for 7 to 10 minutes or until the vegetables are soft.
- Add the paprika, cabbage, thyme, garlic, Roasted Red Pepper, and beans. Stir to combine all the ingredients and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the vegetable cocktail beverage, stock, and chili pepper. Increase the heat to medium-high and bring the soup to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low, cover, and cook for 40 to 45 minutes.
- Add the zucchini and cook another 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve hot.