Zesty Tomato and Lentil Soup
Quick-cooking red lentils provide a hearty, satisfying base that’s high in both fiber and folate.
Serves: 8Prep: 10 minutesCook: 35 minutesTotal: 45 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1 celery stalk, diced
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper, add more for spicier soup
- 8 cups no salt added vegetable stock
- 1 can (15 oz.) diced tomatoes
- 1 cup red lentils, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- Fresh parsley, chopped
- 5 ounces plain Greek yogurt
- Spray a large saucepan with oil and heat to medium. Add onion and celery; sauté until onion is translucent.
- Add sweet potato, tomato paste, garlic, cumin, ginger, paprika and cayenne. When ingredients are hot, add vegetable stock, tomatoes and lentils. Bring to a boil, then simmer 30 minutes.
- Add ½ teaspoon salt and pepper, to taste. Serve with parsley and a dollop of Greek yogurt on top.
- Refrigerate any leftovers.
- To make in slow cooker, add all ingredients except parsley and Greek yogurt. Heat on low 6–8 hours.