Zippy Cheese Straws
These giant cheese straws are so buttery and rich you could serve them as bread for a light dinner. Lots of different cheeses work well, but melting ones are best. Try this with Gruyere and Cheddar, or aged Asiago and Grana Padano.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 30 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 package (17.3 oz.) puff pastry dough, defrosted
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 2 oz. sharp Cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 oz. Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, grated
- 1⁄4 tsp. ground cayenne
- 1⁄8 tsp. salt
- 1⁄8 tsp. ground black pepper
- Heat oven to 425°F.
- Lightly flour a flat, rolling surface, and a rolling pin. Separate the pastry dough into two pieces, and roll each out into rectangles about 9 by 12 inches. Brush one side of each pastry rectangle with the beaten egg.
- Combine grated cheeses, cayenne, salt, and black pepper, and then sprinkle evenly over one pastry rectangle. Cover with remaining pastry rectangle (egg side down), and then lightly roll with a rolling pin to meld the two layers and the cheese. Brush the top with the beaten egg.
- With a sharp paring knife, cut the pastry with layered cheese into strips about 1 inch wide. Twist each strip lightly at either end to create a loose spiral, and then put the strips on a buttered cookie sheet.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, and serve immediately.