Ziti, Spinach, and Cheddar Gratin
This gratin is creamy, crunchy, and cheesy. It’s equally perfect for a simple weeknight meal or for entertaining company.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 50 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 8 oz. ziti
- 1⁄2 tsp. kosher salt
- 3 Tbsp. unsalted butter, divided
- 1 small red onion, peeled and diced
- 2 Tbsp. unbleached all-purpose flour
- 3 cups whole milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 1⁄2 cups fresh baby spinach
- 2 tsp. vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 2 tsp. fresh thyme
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Fill a medium saucepan with water and add salt. Bring to a boil over high heat. Add ziti and cook for 9 minutes until al dente. Drain and rinse under cold water. Set aside.
- Heat 2 tablespoons butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and sauté 5 minutes until softened. Add flour and stir for 1 minute. Pour in milk and bring to a light simmer. Add Cheddar and 1⁄4 cup Parmesan and whisk until incorporated. Stir in spinach and Worcestershire sauce.
- Spoon ziti into a 3-quart casserole dish. Pour cheese sauce over the pasta and top with bread crumbs, thyme, and remaining Parmesan and butter.
- Bake for 20 minutes until golden brown and bubbly.