Ziti with Hearty Lamb Sauce
Serves: 4Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 40 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 3⁄4 lb. lean ground lamb
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 tsp. dried rosemary
- 1 cup canned crushed tomatoes
- 1 1⁄2 cups dry red wine
- 1⁄8 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1⁄8 tsp. ground cloves
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 1⁄2 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1⁄3 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 lb. ziti, cooked
- In a large, deep skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the lamb, breaking it up with a wooden spoon, and garlic and cook until the meat begins to brown, about 3 minutes. Add the onion and rosemary and cook briefly.
- Add the crushed tomatoes, wine, nutmeg, cloves, salt, and pepper and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, until the lamb is tender, about 20 minutes. Check the lamb occasionally to make sure there is enough liquid to cover it. If not, add a small amount of water.
- Stir half the Parmesan into the lamb sauce. Spoon sauce over pasta in shallow bowls, sprinkle with the remaining cheese, and serve.