This recipe is a great way to consume that bumper crop of summer zucchini. These moist muffins are absolutely delicious and freeze beautifully, so you can bake several batches to enjoy in colder weather. After shredding the zucchini, place in a clean dishtowel, twist, and squeeze; you want to remove as much excess liquid as possible before making the batter.
Serves: 12Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 40 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 1⁄4 cups shredded zucchini, drained
- 2 egg whites
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 cups white whole-wheat flour
- 1⁄4 cup sliced almonds
- 1⁄4 cup seedless raisins
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a 12-muffin tin with paper liners and set aside.
- Place zucchini in a medium mixing bowl and add egg whites, sugar, oil, vanilla, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Stir well.
- Add baking powder and stir. Add flour, almonds, and raisins and stir just until combined.
- Divide batter evenly between muffin cups. Place pan on middle rack in oven and bake until tester inserted in center comes clean, about 25 minutes.
- Remove muffin pan from oven and place on wire rack to cool. Cool at least 10 minutes, remove muffins from pan, and serve.