Zucchini and Onion Pancakes
To preserve your zucchini bounty, you can freeze it. Follow the steps below to shred, salt, and squeeze them dry. Spread them onto a cookie sheet, freeze, and then break them into chunks to put in a freezer-safe container for up to 3 months.
Serves: 12Hands-on: 45 minutesTotal: 1 hour 15 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1½ lbs. zucchini (3 large zucchini), shredded
- 1 tsp. plus ⅛ tsp. salt, divided
- ¼ Vidalia onion, thinly sliced and separated
- 1 large egg
- ¾ cup fine breadcrumbs
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- ⅛ tsp. ground black pepper
- Place the zucchini in a colander. Sprinkle with 1 teaspoon salt and toss to coat evenly. Place colander over a large plate and set aside for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 200°F.
- Squeeze as much of the water out of the zucchini as you can. Place them in a bowl. Sprinkle the onion over the zucchini and mix in the egg and breadcrumbs.
- Place a skillet over medium-high heat and add the oil. Use your hands to scoop up a heaping tablespoon of the mixture and flatten it into a pancake. Place it in the skillet and fry 2–3 at a time. Cook on each side for about 3 minutes until they’re light brown.
- Remove them from the skillet and place on a rack over a cookie sheet in the middle of the oven. Sprinkle with remaining salt and pepper. Repeat with the remaining mixture until they’re all cooked. Serve while warm.