Use plain or preseasoned bread crumbs for this recipe. Also, try adding thin-sliced fresh basil or chopped oregano for flair and extra flavor.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 35 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 cup skim milk
- 1⁄2 cup dried breadcrumbs
- 2 Tbsp. chopped basil
- 3 large zucchini, trimmed and cut lengthwise into 1⁄2-inch slices
- 2 cups jarred marinara sauce
- 6 oz. part-skim mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1⁄2 tsp. ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Brush a baking sheet with oil.
- Beat egg whites and milk in a shallow dish. Place bread crumbs and basil in another shallow dish. Dip the zucchini into the egg mixture, then into the bread crumbs. Place on baking sheet and bake 10 to 15 minutes, until zucchini are just fork tender.
- Ladle enough sauce into a medium casserole or baking dish to cover the bottom. Cover the sauce with a single layer of zucchini. Top with some of the cheese and pepper, then sauce again. Repeat the process until all the ingredients are used up. Bake 5 to 10 minutes until the cheese melts and begins to brown.