Zucchini Stuffed with Ricotta – Zucchine Ripiene Con Ricotta
These zucchini are packed with a flavorful stuffing of garlic, onion, breadcrumbs and pecorino cheese.
Serves: 6Prep: 20 minutesCook: 20 minutesTotal: 40 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 6 medium (about 2 lbs.) zucchini, halved lengthwise
- 7 tablespoons Paesano Organic Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2 medium tomatoes, cored, seeded and chopped
- 2 cups ricotta cheese
- 3⁄4 cup grated pecorino
- 3⁄4 cup fresh breadcrumbs
- 3 tablespoons flat-leaf parsley leaves, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons fresh oregano, chopped
- 2 egg yolks, beaten
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Using a small spoon, scoop out pulp from each zucchini half, leaving a ¼” rim around the edges. Chop the discarded pulp and set aside.
- Heat 3 tablespoons of the olive oil in a 10" skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and onions. Cook, stirring occasionally, until translucent, about 6 minutes. Add the zucchini pulp and sauté, drawing the water out. Add tomatoes and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, about 4 minutes more. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the ricotta, ¼ cup pecorino, ¼ cup breadcrumbs, parsley, oregano and egg yolks. Fold in the onion mixture and season with salt and pepper. Set the filling aside.
- Arrange an oven rack about 7" from the broiler element and heat. Rub the insides of the zucchini with 2 tablespoons olive oil and season lightly with salt. Place zucchini cut side up on a foil-lined baking sheet and broil for 5 minutes.
- Remove baking sheet from oven and fill each zucchini half with enough of the ricotta mixture that it mounds slightly but doesn't spill over the edges. Sprinkle each stuffed zucchini with the remaining pecorino and breadcrumbs and drizzle with the remaining olive oil. Broil until the zucchini are soft and the tops are lightly browned, 10-15 minutes.